Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Straight Up Climb

This past weekend we had an interesting experience with a local hiking guidebook that did not quite meet our expectations. The book we had was all about hiking with kids and outlined a great trail on Pitchfield Mountain in Keene, NY described as moderate with a round trip of 3 miles. 
Unfortunately for us, the book must have been written in the 70's when everything seemed wonderful and beauty was found around every corner. As the trail has been traversed by avid hikers the directions have somewhat changed and it is not quite as peaceful as it once was. 
Our book described a "split" in the trail about a half of a mile in, the trail to the left, traveling up to the outlook (1.5 miles) and the trail to the right went up the mountain (distance unknown). Well. There was no split! Instead we followed the one and only trail, heading straight up! We quickly left the busy highway behind and sunk into the wilderness as we started our ascent. 

The trail was marked fairly regularly with NY Trail Head markers but as we started to progress higher, the signs became less frequent.
As we walked we crisscrossed a small stream coming down the mountain fairly often with some spectacular waterfall views. Although they were fairly small falls they were gorgeous and added a mystifying appeal to the trip. All of my readers will soon find out that I am a Waterfall Junkie!!! 
Unfortunately the higher we hiked the larger the rocks became on the trail until we were literally scooting from rock to rock on our hands and knees. A few members of our group were struggling with the altitude and decided to stop about two hours into the hike. I continued for another 45 minutes, reaching false peak after false peak. After such a grueling climb I relished the glimpse of sunshine through the treetops. Thinking to myself; it is just beyond this bend! No such luck. 
Eventually I rounded a corner in the trail and was met with massive stones coming out of the mountain on both sides. These huge boulders were overlooking one of the most breathtaking views I had ever seen. I continued on the trail but at this point my legs were shaking uncontrollably and tapping out their own beat! After each disappointing false top, and now hiking alone, I became discouraged and decided to turn around. However, before I began my retreat down the mountain I climbed atop some of these large boulders and took these shots of the mountains and I am still speechless as I look upon them.




No comments:

Post a Comment