Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Garden Time

So this weekend I spent an absurd amount of time plucking and pulling every weed that threatened to break through my garden soil. Unfortunately I chose to take pictures before I spent all of my Saturday weeding so these illustrate the true extent of my laziness over the past few weeks! 
Sweet Corn
Broccoli slowly recovering from the slug attacks!


Potatoes










Overall my plants are looking quite leafy and green but my pepper plants are simply not up to par. Several of my plants have lost their leaves as they dried up and turned to a black dust on the top of the stalk. The stalk however, has remained green and I am in high hopes that they will round the corner with a little TLC! My next step in combating the ever awful slugs and snails has been a fowl plan! I recently picked up two mallard ducklings whom I call Thelma and Louise. 

Snuggle Time
They have not quite reached a size where I feel comfortable letting them run free with the chickens so they are currently spending their nights in an dog crate and their days running wild! I have been filling up a sled with water several times a day and they are a riot to watch! Most evenings they put themselves to bed by snuggling down into a pile of hay and there they stay until I wake them up in the morning. 


After my long day of strenuous work I fell into a deep, restful sleep and had the most amazing dream! I dreamed of walking through my garden behind a small ramshackle cottage. The sun was high and the plants were aching to get closer to the warmth of the rays. 
Tomato plants, ripened to perfection, were bursting through the Azalea that lined the pathways and dandelion sprouts struggle to grow around the rock stones laid out. Sunflower's tower over Lily's at every turn and open up to a gazebo in the middle of this magnificent maze. 
The circle was lined with evening primrose sprinkled a midst night gladiolus hanging low over a reflective pool. As I sat in the gazebo watching the bees travel between the blossoms, I envisioned how my paradise would light up at night and I could not think of a single thing I would want to change. 
This is certainly not the garden I have now but perhaps someday....

No comments:

Post a Comment